- Improves overall balance
- Stretches the shoulders, spine, chest, and hamstrings
- Strengthens the thighs, buttocks, knees, and ankles
- Strengthens the core
- Improves digestion
- Relieves stress
- Low blood pressure
Begin in Utthita Trikonasana (Extended Triangle) with your right foot forward.
Bend your right leg. Place your right fingertips on the floor, about 12 inches in front of your right toes, and at the same time step your left foot in about 12 inches.
Focus your gaze at one point on the floor. Shift all your weight into your right leg, then inhale, and lift your left leg up.
Reach your left arm to the sky and bring your left leg parallel to the ground. Flex the foot. Open your torso to the left.
Stay in Half Moon pose for several breaths. Exhale and bring your back foot to the floor to return to Extended Triangle pose. Change sides.
- Place a block under the bottom hand.
- Open your torso and chest.
- Do not lock the standing knee.
- Flex strongly through the top foot.
- Keep most of your bodyweight in the standing leg and not the hand; use the fingertips for support only.
- Lift the bottom hand several inches off the floor.
- Gaze up toward the sky.
- Chest collapsing
- Locked standing knee